Wednesday, June 17, 2009

RANT: Profiles in Stupidity... the Grunter

We all work hard at the gym.  Well, some of us work hard at the gym, but we'll get to that another time.  So, some of us work hard at the gym, but that doesn't mean that we need to let everyone in the building know about it through primate-like moaning, groaning, huffing and puffing.  I'm not against working some heavy weights, but if you sound like you're poopin', you're probably in over your head.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising those who get in there and need a little extra breath to press those last two or three reps up to the sky.  I'm talking about that guy... you know the one... who goes to the dumbbell rack, grabs as much weight as he can waddle back to the flat bench with, and squeezes out two or three of the most horrifyingly performed reps you've ever witnessed, all while doing his best impression of a birthing elephant.  This pointless display of man-less-ness is typically punctuated by the abrupt sound of the weights crashing to the floor, as they are entirely too heavy for our hero to place them there carefully.

So I say to you, "The Grunter": We're not impressed.  Your bad form and lack of control tells us that you're well on your way to an injury.  Your uncontrolled braying tells us that you want everybody in the joint to know it.  Just please stay out of my way.  I've got real work to do.

2 comments:

  1. i wanted to thank you again for visiting my blog and leaving your comments about my images. (my blog title is Homebody Blogger, and this is the link to the post in which you commented, http://tinyurl.com/d3ebh9) ha ha, this is hilarious!! i'm actually a personal fitness trainer, so this post hit home for me. i have a few grunters amongst my clientele. you are so right about bad form too. sometimes i go the the gym with my friends as a guest and i just want to scream when i see bad form and people thinking they are doing something by pushing up 3 plates on the chest press. if they only knew that with the proper form and speed, they wouldn't even be able to push 2 plates up, let alone 3. awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just so you know, i've become a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete